Sep 24, 2011

Comcast Working on iPad TV Streaming Service Called AnyPlay

Comcast, the United States' largest cable and internet provider, is working on a television streaming solution for iPads, to compete with Cablevision and Time Warner. The streaming product was announced earlier this year, but details haven't been released until now. 

The product, called AnyPlay, allows Comcast subscribers to view live television on their iPad as long as it's connected to their home network; users must have a special Motorola box which, apparently, takes the live cable stream and sends it directly to the Xfinity TV iPad app over a local wireless network. The service won't work over Wi-Fi from other locations, or via 3G. 

Update: Engadget believes the Motorola Televation cable TV-to-IPTV box is what Comcast will be using for AnyPlay. 



Other solutions, like Time Warner's, stream live video over an internet connection. Comcast's AnyPlay appears to be a cable box that sends video to the iPad rather than to a television. Users can watch "most" channels included with their Xfinity TV service. Users can register up to 10 tablets, but only watch live TV on one tablet at a time. 

Currently, Xfinity customers can use the Xfinity TV app to watch On Demand programming, search TV listings, and schedule DVR recordings. 

There is no indication of release dates or availability, but AnyPlay will be available in limited markets at first, and spreading to all Comcast customers eventually. 

Comcast previously used the "AnyPlay" name on an announced but never released product with Panasonic in 2008.




If you found this post useful or interesting, don't forget to press the +1 Button
and leave a comment 

1 comment:

  1. Well at least they caught their app up to the rest of the cable industry that is far behind it being TV everywhere. I have big old television in my house for watching television, except in the bathroom and the closet, so then during football season maybe that would be good. I mean its cool that you can stream inside your own house to your "mobile" device, that means you can look at your window and wave as I walk past watching television on my iPad on my way to the park, or work, or anywhere. I bought a sling adapter last year, and I have been using it to stream all my live subscribed channels and recorded shows to my iPad and iPhone when and wherever I want, actually TV Everywhere; not TV under my own wifi umbrella. Working at DISH didn't' even play into my decision, when I looked at my choices, or lack a good streaming choices, the cling adapter was and is the clear winner.

    ReplyDelete